Updated: March 16th, 2020
Athena Cinema Supporters,
While there are no known cases of COVID-19 at Athena Cinema, Ohio University or in our region, out of caution and with particular concern for at-risk groups, Athena Cinema will be temporarily closing effective Monday, March 16th. All scheduled programming at this time is canceled.
This decision has been reached after much deliberation and in acknowledgement of the Athena’s role as a community arts center. Since 1915, the Athena has been able to serve our patrons through times of uncertainty by opening our doors to the community. This is a unique and different time. We feel closing is the best course of action to prioritize the health and safety of customers, staff, and the community at large, including vulnerable populations.
Throughout the closure, the Athena will continue to accept memberships and donations to our support fund. Please be aware that delivery of membership cards may be delayed. Your support is especially appreciated during this time.
If you would like to request a refund for a ticket purchase for an event that has been canceled, please reach out to us at 740.594.7382.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. We are looking forward to reopening and welcoming our community back to the theater.
Athena Cinema Staff
Updated: March 12th, 2020
While we remain open and are practicing reduced capacity limits and other extra health and safety precautions, the following partner events have been cancelled or postponed:
The Met: Live in HD presents Wagner’s Der Fliegende Holländer will no longer play March 14th
Spring Sustainability Series: The Electricity Fairy / Coalmining Women will no longer play March 18th
We will announce info about any updates or rescheduling as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and support!
Updated: March 11th, 2020
This page is to provide Athena Cinema patrons with information regarding the health and safety of our patrons in response to the recent concern around the global COVID-19 outbreak and how Athena Cinema is responding.
First, we will remain open and programming is continuing as planned. At this time the risk to the public is still consider low and theaters nationwide have remained open. we are monitoring the situation daily. We are monitoring information from Ohio University, local and state officials along with new information from the Center for Disease Control (CDC). There are currently no known cases of COVID-19 in our immediate region though we are acting with due diligence in protecting our staff, volunteers and patrons.
Here are some ways we’re working to keep the Athena Cinema community healthy:
1. We will be working with Ohio University Facilities Management to ensure disinfecting and routine cleaning is being handled diligently and our staff is disinfecting between each round. For example disinfecting all railings, countertops, and other frequently-touched surfaces.
2. We have reduced the capacity of our theaters to allow for an empty seat and distance between each patron.
3. Our staff will be given checklist with instructions about wearing gloves, handwashing and other health safety protocol.
4. We will be adding public-facing signage to our lobby about handwashing, hand sanitizing, and other public health recommendations for patrons and staff.
5. We have put out hand sanitizer, tissues and alcohol wipes at the counter.
Here is how you can help:
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Where possible please keep a distance from other patrons and limit unnecessary contact.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and then throw the tissue in the trash. Then wash your hands with soap and water.
- Please pick up your trash, especially any tissues or napkins.